Thursday, May 31, 2007

#23 Summary

Kudos to Infopeople and the original developers of the list of 23 things. It is a nice intro to "Web 2.0."

The theme in most of my posts is: find the right technology tool or tools to accomplish a goal or resolve a problem.

As you can see from my posts, I am not a particular fan of most tools that are considered to be part of Web 2.0. Does that make me a Luddite? No.

When I think back over the years, the tools that have become part of my personal life are tools that fit my needs:


- TiVo
- Netflix
- digital cameras
- Google
- Online banking
- cell phones
- The Web
- email


All of these were "wow" experiences from the start. They instantly enhanced my life. I didn't have to try to find a reason for using them.

As a librarian who works in IT, I believe my task is to help my library identify those tools that, in the end, are the most beneficial to our users. They may be tools that our customers use directly or they may be tools that are behind-the-scenes and help our staff perform their duties.

It is my responsibility to stay abreast of new technologies, analyze the costs and benefits of new technologies, and recommend options to library management without being seduced by new, cool things.

2 comments:

Marianaria Sra. bibliotecaria said...

Excellent posts. I share your belief that the tools are there for a problem, not as something to develop a use for.

The SF Chronicle on August 7 had an article about the unmasking of the author of the FakeSteveJobs blog, and one of the entries they showed was a statement that Apple first develops the ads, then the product: no good ads, no product. The hype over Web 2.0 reminds me of that.

Dennis said...

Thanks for creating the very first comment on my blog! -- Dennis